Thursday, September 15, 2016

Homework 2

Design of Useful Things


I really enjoyed this Ted Talk by Paola Antonelli. I thought she did an excellent clearing up the misconception of what most people think when they hear the word "design" or "designer." Design is so much more than just interior decorating or making something pretty. An idea that Paola mentioned in her talk really resonated with me, and that was when she said "Designers are the biggest synthesizers in the world, what they do best is make synthesis of human needs, current conditions in economy, materials, in sustainability issues, and then what they do at the end- if they are good- is much more than the sums of its part." I love this! A designer doesn't just add visual appeals to products but they look into society's issue and develop designs to make our lives easier.

Rethinking the Way We Sit Down  

At first, I wasn't sure where the video was going but by the time I finished it- everything clicked. It all started with one man's passion for airplanes. Neil's love for fantasy airplanes paved the path to his innovative chair design. The biggest takeaway for me is the way Neil thought about design. He didn't just think of the chair when he was designing it but he went beyond that and thought about the way we sit, the way the human body works. I think that we all can learn from Neils' school of thought and keep his story and innovative approach in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment